Friday, November 21, 2008

Why I smelled like apple-cinnamon poop this morning.

As you most likely know, Sara and I are expecting our first child in December. Even though my "adventures in fatherhood" haven't really started, this morning's events have made it necessary to start this blog early. Here's how it went down:

I was all ready to go to work this morning, even Bandit (our 6 pound toy poodle) had done his business outside and received his treat. Then I remembered that it was "trash day" and I needed to get the trash ready and taken out to the curb. I started in the kitchen under the sink and took out the bag. Nothing out of the ordinary yet, same thing as every other trash day. Then I walk into the living room and get the trash from there and I begin to smell something nasty.....I mean really bad! It's not a garbage smell or anything like that, it had the hint of a fresh poop. I glance at the dog--he doesn't have that guilty "I just farted" look or the ashamed "I have a dingleberry" look so I check the bottoms of my shoes. Nothing. Not knowing what was going on, I turned and headed down the hallway to the bedroom and little bathroom to gather the trash from back there. The smell seemed to dissipate as I walked, so I put it out of my mind.

There it is again!!! As I'm gathering the trash from the bedroom and bathroom I'm hit with another wave of funk (which, coincidently would make a great band name). This time much stronger. It's as if someone had smeared a hot turd all over the walls. Once again, I look at the dog (who follows me everywhere) to look for a hint of guilt.....nothing! I leave from there and head to the main bathroom to get the trash from there. This time the smell didn't go away, it was sitting heavy in the air all the way down the hall and seemed to follow me into the bathroom. At this point, it had gotten so bad I was having a hard time breathing and even the dog started sneezing from the smell.

I had to do it. I stuck my nose down into the trash bag and it is most definitely poop and it is ANGRY!!

Now, I'm rushing the trash out of the house and trying to figure out how in the world the poop had gotten there. Once again, I turned to the dog and tried to envision how he (a wonderfully housebroken dog) could have accomplished this feat. After ruling out some sort of "ninja poop" whereby Bandit could have crapped in a trashcan that is twice his height, I then ruled out both Sara and me since I didn't recall taking a dump in the trashcan and I was pretty sure Sara wouldn't have done that either. I didn't think any of our friends would have played that kind of prank on us either, so I was at a complete loss as to how this happened.

Then I remembered. Sara's best friend Meredith was over with their 6 week old baby, Nolan, last Saturday. He must have taken the world's nastiest dump and his diaper got thrown into our trashcan under the sink. Now I knew why it started somewhat faint and then spread to a biohazard-like level of stink--I had picked that bag up first and then proceeded to carry it around the house and jostle it around, effectively shaking up what it contained into what I can only imagine was a foamy mess.

Now, I'm walking all over the house spraying apple-cinnamon air freshener and thinking of a new house rule: Until we get a diaper genie, all poopy diapers MUST be disposed of in the outside trashcan. Oh, the adventures of fatherhood that lie ahead......I can't wait!

4 comments:

Ken said...

Thats pretty nasty. But probably nothing compared to what is to come. Ella crapped on my hand one time and laughed. Kids are gross! Nice writing by the way.

2be said...

Gross! At least you have learned a valuable lesson now.

I will have to tell Herman you are blogging. Of course, he doesn't even read his own wife's blog, but he might read yours. :)

I am so excited for you guys! Baby Grace will be here before we know it.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I'm so glad we are getting to know you both. Hopefully there will be many play dates ahead. Oh yeah, there is only one diaper "thing" to get.. it is not the genie!! I'll have to look at ours and let ya know.
Shannon

Ken said...

update this blog mister!!!